Re: how to deal with spam

Don deJuan wrote:
On 02/23/2012 11:50 AM, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Hi Hans,

Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012 schrieben Sie:
michel_le_grand69@yahoo.fr wrote:
Bonjour,
. . . .
Meilleurs Salutations

!!!!!

D O S T O P Y O U R I M P E R T I N E N T M O L E S T A T I O N S

FROM WHATEVER ADDRESS YOU SAUCILY USE

Please never ever again respond to spam on list.

Since (literally) the first days of the internet, and on Linux long before I joined Debian Potato and changed to testing the very days this came up, I receive spam and I practically never send answers. This time I did. Ever and ever the same foolish postings came from several yahoo accounts, fifteen to more times a day. I simply got furious, and I claim all the rights to get furious in such cases, be it clever or not and do those youngsters below eighty like it or not.

Never ever again respond to spam at all. Cause by doing so, you give the
spammer your mail address together with an indication that you actually
use it.

Nonsense. Of course I have a personal mailfilter and can easily set the
'Betreff: how to deal with spam' on its deny list. I did this generally for all mails sent directly to li.vog except those sent over a list I am subscribed to. So li.vog is only for my communication with lists.
See the text after '--'.

If you want to do something constructive about it, you can do the
following:

1) Contact post/listmasters with some example spam mails including
headers
and politely ask for adjusting spam filters. I think there is even a
howto
on the debian pages.

Debian has such an account to complain to, and the people there are o.k. But in general, it is faster to simply set the spam on the junk list and delete it.

2) Contact abuse center of the provider where the spam originates.

That is of no use. Providers tend to conspire with the spammers.

3) Get yourself spam filtering technology that makes it unviable for
spammers to send spam. Like policyd-weight and crm114 that I mentioned.
If everyone does it, then the business model of spammers would work out
anymore.

I kept post to list for education.

I have tried to educate people for 37 years. So you are trying now?
Good luck!

So please anyone here: Never ever reply to spam on list.
Never ever.
Please only respond on list if you absolutely have to.

In future as in the past and as right now this will be entirely my own decision and nobody else's.

Thanks,

What for?

Debian list is a cesspool of spam. This email is only used for Debian
and only been used for debians list and yet daily I get at least 10 spam
messages sent to the list. I think they should give a major overhaul to
the spam filters, or even requiring re-registration would be good.

Thats wrong. Debian filters spam better than most lists I am subscribed to.

This is the only list I have ever had such an issue

Oh, really?

Yours
Hans.

--
Dieser Account aktzeptiert nur Mails, die an von mir abonnierte Listen
gerichtet sind. - This account accepts only postings which are directed