Re: free software mini pc

On Monday 13 February 2012 5:04:04 pm green wrote:
> David Goodenough wrote at 2012-02-13 11:31 -0600:
> > On Monday 13 Feb 2012, green wrote:
> > > Is Tegra 3 supported by Linux?  Are any of the Tegras supported by
> > > Linux? While I have found nothing definitive, everything I have found
> > > suggests not.
> >
> > If you look at the linux-arm mailing list, or the kernel changelogs you
> > will find lots of references to the Tegras.
>
> Okay, perhaps the kernel does support some Tegras, and perhaps some day the
> Trim-Slice will run mainline Linux.

I have been reading about getting debian working on an ARM system
(raspberrypi) and it seems that they do some custom work with the boot process
to get it going.  I don't pretend to understand what they have done, but their
plan is to put out a customized distribution for their ARM processor based
device.

I've stayed on the sidelines of this thread because the original post sounded
to me like trolling.  But, after the posts that I have read, you seem quite
serious.  I'm still not 100% clear on what is standing in your way.  Have you
looked at mini-itx systems on ebay for inspiration?  I have one now running
Lenny as my server. It is rock solid.  It just sits there, silently, and runs
and runs and runs.  Everything just worked on installation.  I added a tiny
case fan(which is very quiet) to it, but there is really no need for it.

Have you looked into this form factor?

Mark