Re: [OT] Using dvorak

On 08. 02. 12 09:41, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Now I always thought I need to exchange keycaps to actually use and learn
dvorak. It seems to be possible with my ThinkPad keyboards and the other
keyboards I have, but now I learn that its not even necessary.

Not only it's unnecessary, but it's discouraged as well. Switching your keycaps will make you tend to look at the keyboard when typing, which is obviously not what you want.

So I all would do is print myself a - hopefully useful - german dvorak
layout somewhere in eyesight and learn it with a regular keyboard?

That's your best option if you want to be able to touchtype correctly in dvorak, yes.

How does it work when you have to use a qwert(zy) keymapping sometimes?
Would that still work out nicely enough?

I've been typing in dvorak (actually bépo, which is a french dvorak layout) for about a year and a half now, and I'm still able to type in qwertz as fast as before. I'm using bépo at work (I work as a programmer) and qwertz at home. The only drawback I've experienced with this is the mess it creates in my head, especially because I'm a vim user.

I wondered about dvorak for a long time but never took the faith to
actually really try it out for me. Especially cause of the fear not to be
able to use standard mappings anymore should they be all I have when
working at a customer´s machine or so.

I don't think you can lose it that easily. I experienced it some time ago when I stopped using qwertz for about a month, but it took me only a couple of minutes to get back to qwertz at full speed.