Re: Netinstall cannot find wireless access points

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 05:24:18 -0500, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 08:27:19 -0500, Tom H wrote:

(...)

>>> The announcement of the availability of WPA in d-i'll probably be done
>>> when Wheezy's released,
>>
>> Publishing a new feature at the Release Notes is too late for people
>> can test and debug that feature properly, don't you think?
>
> No idea, except to say that the devs wouldn't willingly ship something
> that's untested or under-tested.

Agree. That's why testing before releasing is a must.

>>> in the same way that there wasn't a "we're now defaulting to grub2 in
>>> testing" announcement when Squeeze was "testing"; I've just googled
>>> "grub2
>>> site:lists.debian.org/debian-announce" and "grub2
>>> site:lists.debian.org/debian-news").
>>
>> I read about the GRUB2 transition from Debian Planet and I'm sure sure
>> it was aired in many other places, too.
>
> Yes, but it wasn't announced publicly.

Debian Planet does not count as something "public"? :-)

> It was a more visible change than the addition of wpasupplicant-udeb to
> d-i and was widely discussed on this list pre-release because so many
> of us run "testing" and "unstable" (and Ubuntu).

Yup, but GRUB2 coexisted with GRUB legacy, I mean, it didn't change
substantially the current scenario for users, who were able to choose
between the two options.

> I've just checked "grub2 site:lists.debian.org/debian-project" too;
> nada. And grub2 was a big, cross-distribution change so it wasn't
> Debian-specific, Debian -installer specific and therefore was widely
> discussed/attacked /praised...

Well, GRUB is/was well documented/presented at Debian wiki, as well as
the other available bootloaders.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón