Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On 2/4/2012 7:22 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
>> Fiber is another different thing. We do also have it installed since the
>> last summer (4 FTTH lines, a 16-fibers cable) but working with the fiber
>> can be only done by certified installers and the required tools are very
>> expensive, not every company can afford that.
>
> The long-haul wideband fiber used by ISPs is rather different from the
> short-haul stuff used inside buildings.

True, single mode vs multi mode.  But you still need
qualified/experienced installers with the proper tools to do the
terminations.  It's not rocket surgery, but it's quite different than
CATx termination with a punch tool.

First you must polish the tip of the fiber strand after cutting to
length, so it has a perfectly flat face that is 90 degrees perpendicular
to the strand length.  Note the fiber strands are finer than a bleach
blonde Playmate's ultra thin hair.

Next, fiber doesn't terminate at the panel.  It always terminates in a
male connector that gets plugged into the distribution panel.
Assembling the connectors is a rather delicate operation.  The end of
the fiber must be perfectly flush with the connector edge, lest you have
an air gap between faces, which causes serious loss at the junction.
With both connectors inserted into the panel, the two flat strand faces
should be in full contact with each other, perfectly aligned.

Those with meat hands need not apply.  For everyone else with some
manual dexterity, it just takes instruction, a little practice with a
couple feet of fiber cable, a few dozen end connectors, head mounted
magnifier plus light, and some patience.

--
Stan