Re: My network speed is only 10MB

On 2/4/2012 12:25 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:36:04 -0600, John Hasler wrote:
>
>> Stan Hoeppner writes:
>>> In the US, in the case of environments such as manufacturing floors etc
>>> with horrific EMI levels, fiber is used instead of UTP CAT5/6. With EFI
>>> levels that high, even STP won't save you.
>>
>> STP can make things worse as almost nobody knows how to terminate
>> shields in such a way as to avoid ground loops.
>
> That's no longer true :-)
>
> And here it is a good article explaining the shielding advantadges:
>
> ***
> Why shielded twisted-pair matters for 10GBase-T
> http://www.cablinginstall.com/index/display/article-display/279393/articles/cabling-installation-maintenance/volume-14/issue-12/features/design/why-shielded-twisted-pair-matters-for-10gbase-t.html
> ***

It's interesting to see them making a case for 10GbE over copper,
shielded or not, given that so few switches offer 10GbE RJ45 ports.
I've found exactly one, at $20K USD:
http://www.extremenetworks.com/products/summit-x650.aspx

Everything else uses SPF ports for 10GbE.

Camaleón, you'll be hard pressed to win this debate of shielded vs
unshielded TP cable.  Why not simply say you're happy with it and it
works for you.  Because the bulk of the Western world used UTP
exclusively.  And number don't lie.  We invented both types here in the
US.  And we only use UTP.  If not UTP, we use fiber.  That should be
informative, instructive.

Nobody has said you are wrong in any way for using STP, F/UTP.  We
simply said it's unnecessary if the cable plant is installed correctly.
 You already stated that cable installers there are less than properly
skilled.

I don't understand why you're being so defensive about this shielded
cable thing.  I've never seen you act this way in a thread.  I'm left
assuming that you personally selected S/F/UTP and did the install
yourself, thus the defensive stance.

If that's the case, simply say so, and we can move on.

--
Stan