Re: OT:info needed virtualbox networking

02/02/2012 22:16, richard wrote:
> Greetings,
> Hi my cups server is on my debian machine, but thats all thats Debian with this.
> Does anyone know which ports winxp  uses for for printing raw to a
> samba server, also on my debian machine.
> winrubbish in its own partition prints OK to the samba server, but wincrapXP
> cant connect to the printer when run in virtualbox.
> I'm wondering if its the wincrap firewall, can't turn it off, as that kills
> networking.
> How did Gates make soo much money from selling such crap ?  arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

For cups, port is 631.
For Samba, 137-139, 445

But I doubt you have to open any port in XP to use it as a client, if
it's a firewall problem it's more likely on the server side.

For cups, if your virtualbox machine is on it's own subnet, you need to
have in cups config:
Allow From @LOCAL

and advertise cups server with:
ServerName [cups-server-IP]

Only thing to check on XP is the "Internet printing client" (or
something like that) from "add or remove Windows features" in "add and
remove program" control panel (all names are pure invention, but you get
the idea about what to look for). I think this feature is selected as a
default, but not sure and (happily) I don't have any windows around to
check.