Re: xserver-xorg vs. xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 13:50 +0300, Stayvoid wrote:
> I don't want to use non-free software.

On a "regular non-Mac-PC" the nouveau driver very often doesn't work,
but even if it should work for you, take a look at
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ ,
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/MesaDrivers .

Complete, fast 3D acceleration isn't supported yet:

"Current Status

Quick overview:

KernelModeSetting (KMS) is mandatory Suspend and resume is working for
many chips

2D support is in very good shape with EXA acceleration, Xv and Randr12
(dual-head, rotations, etc.). To understand how multiple monitors work
in X, see MultiMonitorDesktop.

For some Fermi cards, like the NVD9, check the firmware status as it is
required for acceleration.

Some 3D acceleration exists. Read MesaDrivers carefully.

Nvidia Optimus support is not implemented yet, you may not be able to
use the Nvidia GPU at all on Optimus laptops."

There're no other drivers than the proprietary nvidia and this nouveau
driver supporting 3D acceleration. If you won't use the proprietary,
than you probably are screwed.

Serious, you're using a Mac [1], there's nothing I could imagine that's
more un-libre. I really wonder why you won't use the proprietary driver.

Regards,
Ralf

[1] I've got Apple equipment myself. I didn't buy, but won it some days
ago. IMHO a proprietary graphics driver would be the last thing I would
worry about.