Re: Capslock mystery - Recent phenomena concerning keyboard

Jude DaShiell, 31.01.2012:
> A slight variant of this also happens in command line mode too.  Random
> capslock activation does not happen.  But once capslock is hit, all
> letters are written in uppercase even after capslock is pressed again to
> turn it off.  Also, the only way to type lower case letters in this mode
> is to hold the shift key down as each letter is typed.  This is not unique
> to debian either.  I've made it happen in slackware too and quite a while
> ago too, so I suspect it's a long-standing linux kernel bug. On Tue, 31

If by "command line mode" you mean one of the virtual consoles, it
reminds me of what happens when a username is typed in all capitals.
Due to historic reasons, then the system assumes you're using a terminal
(teletype?) which only has capitals available so switches to using
capitals all the time.  Maybe that's what you experienced... (I saw it
happen to somebody a few years ago but I couldn't get it to happen on my
sid system right now, so I'm not sure if that behavior has changed
recently.)