Securing Debian

Hello there!

I'm going to run my own server (website + MTA).
Here is the chosen solution:
https://www.gandi.net/hosting/vps/dedicated (Debian 6 64 bits without
Gandi AI).
Is it OK?

This is my first attempt to administer a server and I want to be as
secure as possible.
Could you give any advice on this topic? What should be done in the first place?
Are there any Gentoo-Hardened-like security addons available for Debian?

I'm thinking about Apache + Postfix. I also want to read my mail
through Emacs (Rmail). Should I install anything else to make it work
(SSH etc.)?

I'd like to use this server as a proxy too. (I don't want to give
anyone a chance to look through my traffic.) Is it a good idea? Is it
even possible? Are there any better solutions for this purpose?

Kind regards.