Re: POP3 in Debian

* Jon Dowland wrote on 2012-01-19 at 11:38 (+0000):

> On 19/01/12 09:32, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >You could try with fetchmail, but I am not completely sure
> >whether it can store what it retrieves in a mbox or whether it
> >only supports maildir.
>
> Fairly sure fetchmail (et al) can inject mail to the local MDA,
> so where it ends up afterwards depends on how you've set up
> exim or an alternative.
>
> I'd strongly recommend using something *other* than fetchmail:
> getmail or mpop are options.

Is this a general advice?  If so, then why?  Or is it your advice
for the OP's aim to directly deliver messages to a mbox or
maildir without exim and without running an MDA.

Yes, I checked the short package descriptions of getmail and
mpop.  And I'm using fetchmail for myself (but no POP3s) without
any problems.

Regards,
Mathias