Re: booting Debian-6 in run level 3

On Vi, 13 ian 12, 15:21:27, Darac Marjal wrote:

> I agree that switching S to K is better than simply removing the link
> (it allows you to switch to that runlevel from any other, for example),
> but I don't agree that there's no need to edit the init script. Next
> time insserv is run, won't the symlink just get switched back? The
> better option is to move the "3" from "Default-Start" to "Default-Stop"
> and let insserv re-render the rc?.d directories appropriately.

$ ls -l /etc/rc2.d/K*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 oct 10 01:44 /etc/rc2.d/K01gdm -> ../init.d/gdm
# update-rc.d gdm defaults
update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (3 4 5) of script `gdm' overwrites defaults (2 3 4 5).
insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 6) of script `gdm' overwrites defaults (0 1 6).
$ ls -l /etc/rc2.d/K*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 oct 10 01:44 /etc/rc2.d/K01gdm -> ../init.d/gdm

But you do probably get rid of those warnings if you edit the init.d
script ;)
OTOH you will get a dpkg prompt every time there is some change to the
script, even for changes in spacing, comments, etc.

Kind regards,
Andrei