Sound loss on Squeeze

I just installed squeeze yesterday. The sound worked perfectly then,
so I assume that my sound card is compatible with debian(it also
worked fine with ubuntu). But just to be sure, the command "sudo lspci
-v' output:

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
            Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff1e
            Flags: slow devsel
            Memory at 92300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

However, today's boot didn't go as well. When I go to
'System>Preferences>Sound'. I get an error message stating, "No volume
control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found." When I searched
GStreamer in the synaptic package manager I already had them. So I
don't know what to do. I don't understand how it could just stop
working overnight.

Also, the command 'sudo aplay -l' returns:

aplay: device_list:235: no soundcards found...