Re: Can we stop whining about GNOME3 please?

On 13/11/11 11:13, Walter Hurry wrote:
> It seems fashionable to complain about GNOME3. If you don't like it (and
> personally I detest it), then you have three choices:
>
> a) Wait until it improves (3,2, 3.3, 3.4)?
> b) Put up with it as it as it is.
> c) Switch to another desktop environment. There are several to choose
> from.
>
> GNOME2 is not coming back. "Fallback" mode is for a limited time only.
>
> But it seems to me that complaining gains little or nothing.
>
> Just my 2c.

1++ and thanks for saying something.

I must be getting too old... I remember when FOSS meant *not whining*
about lack of choice or the ability to change things. Seems it now means
"I've got a suggestion/demand that'll make me happier but requires the
effort/expense of others".

Suggestion to those that are unhappy - developers do care about users
(without the silent L) - they don't have enough time, resources,
respect, or appreciation. Please take those things into account before
filling the lists with your "developers don't pay enough attention to
*my* needs/wants" posting - maybe then you'll get what you want, even if
it's just a reality check (you can't have A without losing B etc).

Part of what people complain about is a direct result of their
(ignorant) demands. If you want FOSS for your phone *and* your desktop
*and* the latest hardware - it requires more work, and more resources.
Want support and documentation with that? Then you'll have to accept
that those changes will have to apply to more than just you. And please,
pointing at [insert product here] and asking why Debian doesn't do it
just prompts the obvious response (even if people are too polite to tell
you to go do it).

You can't have "things stay the same" when staying the same means being
able to browse a rapidly changing internet, and support changing
hardware and multimedia. Would you like it ported to ARM as well?

If you aren't developing answers to problems, then you're bound to
follow those that do - bitching just means "they" *won't* take your
"needs" into account.

Criticism is only good if it's constructive - and "pointing" is *not*
constructive, it's just obnoxious and immature self-validation. It also
makes the complainers sound like rent-a-whine puppets.

My 2c.

Cheers