Wifi with squeeze on Lenovo X61s laptop - difficulties

I have installed Ubuntu 11.10 on one partition and Debian squeeze on
another.

Ubuntu asked for the ESSID and WPA2 password and connected fine.

Debian squeeze installer asked for firmware to be installed from
removable media
but failed to load the files from CD-ROM. So wifi does not work.

I have installed the firmware-iwlwifi package and have checked that
the firmware
files required are in /lib/firmware.

Is there any way I can get the firmware loaded once squeeze is
installed so that
wifi will work?

I am using linux-image-2.6.32-5-686.