Re: What to make of this apt-get update output.

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 04:59:47 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

(...)

> [...]
>
>> Note: No volatile there.  But you have volatile in the errors below.
>> Recently added to apt is the ability to have additional files in the
>> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory.  Do you have additional files
>> there?  I think you must.  And think that those files must have
>> volatile listed in them.
>>
>> As I am sure you know volatile has changed names in Squeeze and is now
>> "wheezy-updates" very confusingly similar to "wheezy/updates".  I am
>> hoping you find the problem in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/something and
>> will have your problem solved there.
>
> Your analyses was spot on.  I think I even remember having put that
> there on the advice of some (no doubt, out of date) web page.
>
> I'm still getting the address wrong though.  I looked up the
> announcement concerning volatile being closed down and even there did
> not really get the right syntax for sources.list
>
> Do you have the whole notation beginning with deb-[...]?

It was published in Release Notes:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#stable-updates

And also in the wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/StableUpdates

But that's for the "stable" branch, not sure if "testing" is a valid target
for "stable-updates". It does not make much sense to me, being testing a
quasi-permanent moving target.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón