Re: How to unlock apt-get?

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 12:59:33PM BST, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-10-09 13:47 +0200, Matt Harrison wrote:
> > Are you running apt-get as root?  I don't have my box right in front
> > of me, but the errors you describe sound like you are trying to run
> > apt as your user account.
>
> No, in that case he would get a (13: Permission denied) error.  The dpkg
> database is locked by another process, lsof should find out which one.

It means that another update process[0] is running or ran but hadn't had
the time to clear locks after it finished. Seems like this time it's the
latter since the problem remains after reboot. It could've happened when
you rebooted the system or simply closed a window while a package manager
was performing its tasks.
Since you've rebooted it's safe to remove the lock files now as no
process, even the automated one, will run.

[0] auto-apt, cron-apt, unattended-upgrades, etc.

Regards,
--
Raf