Re: [OT] Imperial measures

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:28:10 -0400
Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

> On 10/05/2011 03:18 PM, John Hasler wrote:
> > doug writes:
> >> Thanks to Artha, which is billed as a Thesaurus, but is a really
> >> useful dictionary as well.  It's in the pclos repos, don't know
> >> about other distros.
> > "units" knows about kilderkin, and just about any other unit of
> > measure you can imagine.
>
> you're right!  It even knows this:
>
> You have: furlongs per fortnight
> You want: miles per hour
>          * 0.00037202381
>          / 2688
>   --doug
> >
> > BTW a kilderkin is two firkins.

Not to be confused with merkin, although the two will quite often be
associated.
Merkin also has a secondary meaning other than this also, as
a contribution to the Anglophile's dictionary. An alternative to USian.
Kindly donated by President Johnson.
Regards,

Weaver.
--
"In a world without walls and fences,
what need have we for Windows or Gates?"