Re: 100% used / file system. Help!

On Tuesday 20 September 2011 16:31:26 Lisi wrote:
> I have accidentally filled something, that I shouldn't have, on my root
> directory, and have now got a 100% usage of the disk containing my /.
> This is causing me problems.  (Now there's a surprise!!)
>
> I have no backup of my /.  Yes, I know.  I deserve everything I've got.
> But now that I have been given my just deserts, can any kind soul come to
> my rescue?  I would be so grateful....  I may, of course, just have to
> reinstall. :-(
>
> Lisi

hapened to me and some friends. Then upgrade dont go to nicely!!!
Got out of it 2 ways, depending on the hard drive configuration:

If you have LVM, you need a livecd from, say debian, and use it to resize your
partitions, then you can take time to do your clean up. To resize it you need
lvm tools which are not present in a basic live cd, so you have to install them
after you boot whith your cd.

If you have a basic fs, then gparted-live should do the job of resizing.

A third way (never worked for me, but it is still worth trying, as it is less
painful, was already mentioned by Cameleón, is to use the 5% reserved for
admin.
Unfortunatly, I dont remember the command line for that, someone can help?
Thierry