Re: lists.debian.org has received bounces from you

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 15:13:33 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Debian Listmaster Team wrote:
>> > For more information see http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ListMaster/FAQ
>>
>> Does anyone know what this is all about ?  Never seen anything like
>> this before.
>
> See the FAQ that was quoted for a full description.  The most likely
> reason is that your system is bouncing email that came through the
> mailing list.  That is most likely.  Especially since there has been a
> number of spam messages slip through the mailing list filters recently.
> If your system has been bouncing those back to the list then it would
> account for your kick-score being above threshold for a notice.  The
> notice is sent to you so that you will know that your system is doing
> this.
>
> Normally mailing list software keeps track of user email bounces.  A few
> isn't a big deal.  Misconfigurations happen.  But too many and it will
> need to unsubscribe you.  Otherwise the lists would be clogged with
> zillions of dead addresses.  The mailing list management software must
> clean those as needed.  For example if you disappear from the world then
> your email will bounce and after too many bounces the address will be
> removed from the list.  If it reappears again later you would need to
> subscribe again.
>
> If you are handling your own email and spam filtering then the best
> thing is not to spam filter and then bounce mailing list email.  Okay to
> spam filter and then either discard or file into a junk folder. But
> bouncing messages that you have subscribed to is the main problem with
> the above.
>
> And before anyone complains about spam through the mailing list let me
> say that the Listmaster Team does an outstanding job of keeping spam off
> of the mailing lists.  The relative amount of spam is very, very low.
> But with the high volume of email to be processed some small number in
> absolute terms will slip by because people are so clever at abusing the
> system.  It is hard for even very clever good people to stop other very
> clever people from being bad.

Bob,

This is all sensible advice, but it does not sound to me as though OP is
handling his own email; the address concerned is debianlist@videotron.ca
- videotron.ca appears to be an ISP/email provider, and I have a hunch
that the address is one of OP's own with that provider.