Re: debian sensible browser help

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 08:07:02PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > AFAIK it is still true that unless you have taken special measures
> > > (e.g. ~/.xsession) then the .bashrc environment will not be present to
> > > the GNOME desktop.
> >
> > It sure seems to be present out of the box on mine (Lenny and Squeeze).
> > In addition to the browser export setting, I source my .bash_aliases
> > file from it.
>
> It definitely is not on mine.  Not on Lenny, Squeeze, nor Sid.  I just
> double checked by doing the tests.  Variable settings in .bashrc are
> not available to GNOME.

I have this in my .bashrc and they work with no problem:

NNTPSERVER='news.sonic.net' && export NNTPSERVER
BROWSER=firefox/firefox && export BROWSER

> > > Therefore while setting BROWSER in .bashrc will work for
> > > invocations of sensible-browser from the command line it won't
> > > have any effect for when GNOME is launched.
> >
> > Gnome has to be launched manually? Not my experience. On my distros it
> > launches at boot. What distros are you basing your statement on? Or am I
> > completely misunderstanding your post?
>
> I didn't say anything about launching GNOME manually.  Not sure where
> you read that from.  Although you certainly can do so through xinit or
> startx and many do use those to start up X manually.

I misread your post. Sorry.

> What I said was that setting shell variables in .bashrc won't normally
> have any presence to applications launched by GNOME.  GNOME is
> normally started by gdm, as you so noted.  That doesn't come through
> either .bash_profile or .bashrc and so variables set there won't be in
> effect.
>
> So let's say you have GNOME preferences configured so that the web
> browser will be sensible-browser.  In that case it won't get the
> BROWSER variable setting in .bashrc and then won't launch the desired
> browser.

If that's true (and I'm not saying it isn't) how to explain the browser
and nntp lines in my .bashrc working. I still have a hunch I'm
misunderstanding something.

> > > Instead for GNOME
> > > it appears in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/55gnome-session_gnomerc that you
> > > need to put settings into ~/.gnomerc instead.  I mention this because
> > > Paul said he was running GNOME.  Users running other session managers
> > > would be better served to use ~/.xsession.

Haven't set up either one of these. Probably won't as long as the
.bashrc is working.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,