Re: debian sensible browser help

Steve Kleene wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:53:28PM +0000, I wrote:
>
> > From my command line, I tried
> >
> > BROWSER=/usr/bin/iceweasel export BROWSER
> >
> > but found that reading an html e-mail then brought up both iceweasel and
> > sensible-browser.  I had no entry for html in ~/.mailcap, and /etc/mailcap
> > listed sensible-browser.  I did this all with metamail, which is kind of
> > archaic.
>
> On 2011-07-26 00:43:30 GMT, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
> > Try putting that line in .bashrc, log out and back in. Don't forget the
> > "&&".
>
> I just did try that with the "&&", and I still got sensible-browser when I
> used metamail.  Maybe that's unexpected, but at least listing iceweasel in
> ~/.mailcap has worked.

AFAIK it is still true that unless you have taken special measures
(e.g. ~/.xsession) then the .bashrc environment will not be present to
the GNOME desktop.  Therefore while setting BROWSER in .bashrc will
work for invocations of sensible-browser from the command line it
won't have any effect for when GNOME is launched.  Instead for GNOME
it appears in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/55gnome-session_gnomerc that you
need to put settings into ~/.gnomerc instead.  I mention this because
Paul said he was running GNOME.  Users running other session managers
would be better served to use ~/.xsession.

Probably best to have the .gnomerc simply dot source (with '.' not
'source', Xsession is a /bin/sh script not a /bin/bash script) the
.bashrc file so that you get the same environment both places.

Bob