Re: Cannot mount floppies in Squeeze

On Sun, 2011-07-17 at 20:58 +0200, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > May I recommend sidestepping this entirely?  ...  The "mtools"
> > toolkit is vastly more efficient and safer, ...
>
> +1 on the use of mtools.  It is definitely a good solution.
>
> However if someone is wanting to mount the device then it is probably
> because they want to use a graphical file manager.  (Otherwise why
> mount it?  Just use the mtools.)  In which case mtools being command a
> line driven interface probably won't be a good fit for them.
>
> Bob

In GNOME GUI if I clicked on "Floppy Drive" icon it says "No media
found".

I have to issue command,
$ udisks --mount /dev/fd0
Then "Floopy Drive" icon is not changed for the actual mounted floppy
state icon with the label name, it appears next to "Floppy Drive" as a
new icon.

Also I noticed that gfloopy was dropped in Squeeze, I cannot format
floppies anymore using GUI.

However, I can use any or both of:

superformat, mformat commands.

Disk Utility borrowed from RedHat refuses to format IDE floppy, perhaps
it can format USB sticks, haven't tested that one yet. Not sure if USB
sticks need formatting.

Cheers

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@email.cz>