Re: What is the future for Debian on (Android) tablets?

* Brad Alexander:

> Have you looked at the Maemo distribution? It came out for the Nokia Nseries
> tablets (n770/800/810/900), and is Debian-based. I have (briefly) started
> looking at whether this supports tablets. Since it was designed for
> (smaller) tablets, hopefully, it will work on the larger tablets.

I think those devices are pretty much tied to the vendor or reseller,
like mobile phones.  These companies will screw their customers for
very bizarre reasons.  Typically, you can't really buy the hardware---
supposedly, it is licensed to you, and the license does not cover
commercial or volunteer use (such as Debian activities).

> My problem with tablets (aside from the android dillution), is the
> cost. For the cost of a tablet, you could get a pretty nice laptop,
> which seems more cost effective.

I'm looking for a tablet which can serve as an ebook reader
(particularly for PDFs without DRM).  Any suggestions?  I don't need
anything fancy; a decent screen and a couple of hours uptime on a
single battery charge are enough.  If there's 3G, I would want to work
it under Debian, but it's not required.