Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 06:57:39PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
I don't doubt that in the sea of RFCs I've missed the obsolescence of
RFC2402, 2406 and 2407 - could you point me at the new optional IPSec
standard please. :-)

Well, I found it in https://www.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=setup-3668841:
„IPv6 was intended to require IPSEC support. Unfortunately most IPv6 stacks come without IPSEC support and because of that the requirement for having IPv6 IPSEC actually where made optional later on. It is one of those „IPv6 myths”. Note that IPv4 is in the same situation, you need a working IPSEC stack for it and those are not always available, let alone proper tools to set it up. The only ‚advantage’ for IPv6 over IPv4 here is that in a lot of scenarios IPv4 is NATted while IPv6 most likely is not, there are ways around that nowadays anyway thus that is not a real advantage anymore.”

Besides this message I heard it from another source.

Shade and sweet water!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |