Re: Complex IPv6 setup (was: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?)

On 07/10/11 at 01:42pm, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 09:47:59PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> >Liam writes:
> >>The remote side will know your actual IP address...
> >One of the 2^64 at your disposal.

[...]
> With IPv6 all my internal hosts have for now fixed external IPv6
> addresses. This is working. But how do I configure the systems to
> use a random IPv6 address for (certain) external connections? To my
> internal hosts the system should use the fixed IPv6 addresses, to
> certain external hosts (like my vServer) as well if possible, but to
> others it should be the random IPv6 address.

Set up a virtual NIC, use static IP with one and let the other SLAAC (NOT DHCP,
IPv6 obviates the need for DHCP) in a different subnet. Then setup routing as
needed so default gateway is on the SLAAC NIC. The real question is why are you
concerned with 'randomizing' your IP? The prefix is what people will know you
by, and the prefix will not change. All IP-based tracking will recognize you
fine after the IP change.

> And how to I do this with DHCP for guests (should work with windows
> and linux)?

Again, DHCP isn't used for IPv6 (although it exists if you need certain
requirements like providing a tftp boot rom for PXE)

--
Liam