Re: What is the recommended way to upgrade from grub-legacy to grub2

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:08:40 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> When I search for ways to upgrade, all I find it people having trouble
>> with grub2.
>>
>> I can't find the recommended upgrade path.
>>
>> I have a laptop that boots squeeze using grub-legacy.  The squeeze
>> release notes tell me that during upgrade from lenny I had the option
>> to chain-load grub2 from grub.  That seems like a safe way to go.
>>
>> Now I never actually did this upgrade, just kept updating testing every
>> few weeks, until testing got to be squeeze.  What do I do now to do
>> this upgrade, and get this safe chain-load option?  Just install grub2
>> using aptitude?  Or does the lenny->squeeze upgrade do something
>> sneakier?
>
> /usr/sbin/upgrade-from-grub-legacy

Yes, after

    install grub

once I'm sure grub2 is working by chainloading it from existing grub1.

> (Any particular reason for upgrading?)

Just to be ready for the future.  It does look as if grub will do the job
today.  Does wheezy still support grub 1?  Will it when it becomes
stable?  And will I need to boot from an LVM volume someday?  I thought I
might, but I've found a 1G secondary partition lying around that I can
use instead for now.

-- hendrik