Re: help ! nvidia driver and X

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 12:35 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 09 iul 11, 10:30:23, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > I didn't run into dependency hell, anything else is from testing.
> > I really wonder hat people claim to get issues regarding to
> > dependencies, when downgrading X.
>
> We're still almost one year away from the freeze, I'm guessing many
> changes are still to come. For your use-case, the X maintainers are
> working on back-porting some of X, you might want to watch
> debian-backports list.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Yesno :)

"You are running Debian stable, because you prefer the Debian stable
tree. It runs great, there is just one problem: the software is a little
bit outdated compared to other distributions. This is where backports
come in.

Backports are recompiled packages from testing (mostly) and unstable (in
a few cases only, e.g. security updates) in a stable environment so that
they will run without new libraries (whenever it is possible) on a
Debian stable distribution. It is recommended to select single backports
which fit your needs, and not to use all available
backports." (http://backports-master.debian.org/)

I need to compile some audio software myself and especially need some
new libraries. But I guess you're right, for most users this might be
the best solution. Since I didn't tested stable + backports I don't know
if it should work for me too, but from the past I know, that it was
better to use testing and to downgrade some packages.

For me NVIDIA works, but I've got packages installed that aren't
available anymore, so others can't install the same packages and I need
to take care not to lose these packages. It happened several times, that
packages that were locked by Synaptic, should be removed when doing an
upgrade.