Re: Headless Install Debian Squeeze

On 30/06/11 04:04, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	It appears that the procedure to start the serial
> console has changed.
>
> 	Can I boot the CDROM in serial console mode as before?

I had to do this recently to install on a serial-only virtual machine,
and found that I had to modify the CD to present anything over the
serial port. I don't know if I was doing something wrong and it should
have been possible with a stock CD, but this worked for me.

These are the notes I made while doing it, you should substitute the
6.0.1a version for whatever is current when you do it.

---
Following http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CD
mkdir unpack
bsdtar -C unpack -xf debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso [if doing it with
mount -o loop, don't miss .disk dir]
vi unpack/isolinux/isolinux.cfg [timeout 5]
vi unpack/isolinux/txt.cfg [add console=ttyS0,9600n8 to append line]
chmod +w unpack/isolinux/isolinux.bin
genisoimage -o debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst-plettserial.iso -r -J
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -b
isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat ./unpack
---

I was using an amd64-netinst CD, but it should work with any CD that
uses isolinux (i386 or amd64).

Paul.