Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:07:10 -0600, Glenn English wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Yesterday I had to perform an new install with the latest wheezy
>> snapshot (weekly CD#1 image).
>>
>> Some thoughs while dealing with the expert install...
>>
>> 1/ I could only get grub-pc, no more questions about installing GRUB
>> legacy or select the new version... is that right? I thought GRUB2 is
>> still an ongoing project, quite stable but still getting many
>> enhancements.
>
> Same here, except I installed squeeze (netinst CD downloaded 3 or 4 days
> ago). I was surprised to see only GRUB2 available.

It has been also removed from there (squeeze)? Wow...

>> Point 1/ worries me a bit, because GRUB2 was not going to be my
>> preferred option for wheezy...
>
> This is a server, not a gaming console, that I'm loading up. And I have
> to admin it via SSH from 1K miles away. I'd really like to be able to
> use the hopelessly antiquated, but known working, GRUB legacy.

+1

I do make tests for the new stuff (GRUB2, GNOME3, systemd -when/if it
comes, etc...) on separate computers, dedicated to such tasks.

On servers and workstations, though, I give a couple of years before
introducing new stuff and given that the booloader is an important piece
of the puzzle, in this case I prefer to take the conservative path.

> Squeeze maintainers, Did I not see something I should have? Is GRUB2 in
> good enough condition that it can be used on production servers? Is the
> next CD going to have GRUB legacy available?

When I installed Squeeze, back five months ago when still tagged as
"testing", it was indeed available, I mean, the installer asked what to
put, GRUB legacy or GRUB2. Are you sure that now Squeeze installer has
removed that option? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón