Re: Lenovo T410 modem difficulties

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:12:22 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >>
> >> Those damn software modems are a bunch of... I better shut up :-)
> >
> > You will have to buy a driver from Linuxant if you want that thing to
> > work.
>
> Why? Is the free version of their software not working at all? :-?

Can you actually use 14k4 for anything?  If you need the modem, you likely
need the full support.

Yes, the "free beer" version works.  But it is NOT worth the hassle of
installing or loading that driver as a "just have" IMO.  Do it only if
you _need_ it, and if you need it, get the full version to at least pay
something back to linuxant for the driver developement and encourage
them to keep maintaining it so that it will still work on later kernels.

> I thougth softmodems were really bad but Conexant chipset based ones at
> least provide two sets of drivers... are you saying nooone work?

Both worked last time I tried them in a T43, and 2.6.26 kernel.  I have
not bothered to recompile it and check against 2.6.32 and 2.6.35, and I
have no idea if it even know how to deal with 3.0.

> >> Or better yet, get a real modem >:-)
> >
> > That would be either a cdc-acm USB device, which can be rather difficult
> > to find... or a USB RS232 dongle plus an async RS232 modem (large and
> > somewhat expensive).
>
> Uh? A plain USB or a PCMCIA/Smart PC card (being both hardware based
> modems) will do the job quite well. Anything is better than an embedded
> modem.

Plain USB has to be cdc-acm (full serial device) to work in Linux.
Finding them is not that easy in some parts of the world, and most are
not produced anymore.  The smartcard ones are even worse.  YMMV.

The T43 embedded modem with full (paid) linuxant drivers used to work
well, as long as I never tried to suspend (those drivers are NOT even
close to perfect).  I haven't needed the modem for two years now, so I
didn't bother testing the driver in recent kernels.

  Henrique Holschuh