Re: Question about the new kernel with PAE (Wheezy)

On 21/06/11 17:33, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:16:02 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

On 06/21/2011 10:59 AM, Camaleón wrote:
But now the day has come and I've got two questions:

1. Will the PAE kernel work on this VM? I guess no.

2. Shouldn't the dist-upgrade routine had to automatically determine
the best kernel for this system? Or at least provide some kind of
warning? I think a 486 kernel would be a more sensitive choice.

Any commnents?

Hi, Camaleón!

My spare sub-notebook (Panasonic CF-R3) shows

(...)

Another guy with a non PAE system. Welcome to the club ;-P

Since this is my spare notebook...

Mmm... so aptitude warned you. That's good. But then, why it selects a
kernel that won't work on your system? That's diabolic }:-)

Anyway, that answers my question 1 and somehow the question 2, thanks.

Aptitude was nice to me.

Yep, I also think so. But I wondered how "apt-get dist-upgrade" would
handle this sitution. I bet that it will report something similar to
aptitude... heck, I'm tempted to get the "I-know-it-won't-work" suggested
kernel update to see what happens O:-)

I'll find that out what apt does tomorrow when I try to upgrade my main laptop which doesn't have pae support, and will report the results.

I'm not too worried, as I know it won't remove the old kernel and I can reboot into that one and install the 486 version when it fails.

Oddly, I installed the 486 version on a couple of identical 586 machines today. It worked fine on one and failed to boot on the other. I'm not planning to investigate those, though, as I build a custom targeted kernel for those low-spec machines.
--
Dom