Re: CPU freq scaling script - Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1175

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 08:44:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 23:50 +0000,
> debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
>>         On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:46:18 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>         (...)
>>
>>         > I would welcome, if more people would use Linux instead of
>>         Microsoft and
>>         > Apple, at least for audio productions. I don't think it's
>>         possible to
>>         > use Linux for professional video productions at the moment.
>>         At least
>>         > some coders claim that it will take a long time until this
>>         will be
>>         > possible.
>>
>>         That's an unbelievable claim.
>>
>>         Most of the render farms and multimedia clusters are using
>>         linux not only
>>         to perform the intensive tasks but also in their workstations.
>
> That's not true. I worked for famous companies in the past, so not only
> what by the Linux community is called 'professional', but what I call
> 'real professional'.

Sorry to contradict that, but most of the major film studios (Dreamworks
Animation, Industrial Light & Magic, Pixar and Weta Digital) have
migrated to Linux and not just in servers but their workstations.

And this is not _my_claim:

http://edigitales.org/hollywood-select-linux-for-animation/

> Anyway, I suspect that most people guess I'm a troll,

I don't think you're a troll, it's just you seem to be requesting for a
default setting that will only make happy a little part of the linux
users, so IMO, that has not much sense.

> so don't believe me, but at least believe coders from the Linux
> community and READ what they claim, e.g. read the LAU archive from this
> month, mails such as this one:

(...)

Post already read.

With all the respects, there are distributions out there that are focused
to the multimedia (audio/video) sector, in the same way there are other
distributions focused to scientific tasks or to kids, or DYS or...
whatever! You can even rent a set of programmers and make your own super-
media linux suite. What we have in the linux world is a big variety of
choices for almost anything so complaining on this is a bit senseless,
again, IMO.

>>         > Anyway, using audio is possible, but with many, many
>>         problems and those
>>         > problems should be eliminated.
>>
>>         And the problem you refer can be eliminated within seconds...
>
> No, because the users aren't aware of the reason.

You are there to tell. This is Linux, we all have to question many
things! Not everyone knows about all.

>>         > The more audio users, the more vendors of professional audio
>>         cards
>>         > would take care about Linux.
>>
>>         What I still don't get is your interest in making a default
>>         setting to
>>         help only a limited set of users... Can you tell me why on
>>         earth a multi-
>>         purpose linux distribution (like Debian is) should focus in a
>>         specific
>>         area, like audio? You know, real-time kernels and tweaks for
>>         audio lovers
>>         are the opposite of what a plain server needs ;-)
>
> Servers are set up by computer experts,

Not necessarily. Many windows admins migrate to linux to start with it
and they become newbies when it comes to linux configuration and setup.

> audio workstations have to be pre-build tools.

What you seem to bypass is that e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e will have to read, find
and ask. Read, find, ask. Despite he is a master and commander of the
"multimedia" or a linux hacker, or a windows expert... we all have to
read manuals and ask questions... again, not everyone knows about all. If
you need a special setup for your workstation, ask! If it is possible,
someone will tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón