Re: Backup script

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:27 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> I'm writing a script to backup the 4 Linux installs and the MBRs on my
> machine.
>
> Is there a way to copy all 4 Linux by running one of those installs?
>
> With a lack of knowledge I would backup the 3 Linux that aren't running,
> by the running Linux and than boot another Linux install, to backup the
> previously running Linux.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf

You'll need to establish network communications amon gthe Linux
systems, with some tool with enough privileges to copy the data.
Excellent freeware tools include Amanda (for tape backup), which runs
a server on one host and clients on the same host and other hosts
typically, and rsnapshot, which is much easier to recover lost files
with and pretty much relies on a central server to have enough space
to copy the live contents of the other systems.

I like rsnapshot with external USB drives.