Re: Chromium 11 on Debian 6.0.1 Stable

On Sun, 29 May 2011 10:26:25 -0400, Dan wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> And why should we care (as long as we still get security support, even
>>> if it's only from Debian).
>>
>> Anyone who estimates his/her security should care.
>>
>> We all know (or should know) that any piece of software that is not
>> being actively developed (upstream) is a security risk. Yes, Debian
>> security team can catch and patch some flaws but not all. Heck, they're
>> good but not super-heroes with extra-powers... or are they? ;-)
>
> That is a good point. What do you think that it is more secure to use
> chromium from the stable repositories or chrome from google's
> repositories?

Well, the fact is that nowadays there must be more users running Chrome
(for whatever OS) than users running Debian's Chromium so it's my
understanding that more people using a program gives a higher chance for
more bugs to be catched.

> Do you think that the chromium version which is at the stable
> repositories is secure enough?

It should be. Look at the changelog, it's plenty of bug fixes:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/c/chromium-browser/chromium-browser_6.0.472.63~r59945-5+squeeze4/changelog

So, while you don't get any additional feature/enhancement that could
have been added to the latest Chrome relase (11.x), you are still getting
security patches.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón