Re: Samba and NFS

On May 27, 2011, at 10:08 PM, William Hopkins wrote:

> On 05/27/11 at 09:57pm, Will Ryder wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> Why? Last I checked, netapp filers had SMB support.
>> They do have cif shares but I cannot connect directly
> Hmm. I don't follow this.. why not?

Sorry, I did not describe my network properly and the permissions I need. Basically I need the UID and GID for file creation for data protection reasons.

The windows pcs and rhel machine sit on one side of a Firewall/access control list on a subnet off the main network where the netapp is, the Debian machine sits on the main network with it's own firewall.

It is not a usual network configuration and the data storage has to have a high level of integrity. Therefore I am using TCP instead of UDP.
(Was quite impressed with the transfer speed, at one point I was getting ~ 100Mb/s (sorry to diverge from my original question), the server has two 1Gps network cards)

The not being able to connect via CIF is really due not a technical issue - I know it could be done - but it will not happen in this circumstances.

>>> Not advisable, no. SMB emulates windows locks and NFS mandates UNIX locks and they aren't compatible. You may or may not have issues.
>>> I would suggest you ask around the samba-technical list for best practices, and if you can't fully understand all the implications then you'd be safest finding another solution.
>>
>> That was what I thought I might get as a reply.
> Well, debian user has a wide variety of experience but sometimes it's best to get a bit more granular.

The data is write once as it is archived for a number of  years, so I have to get it right! I will try the other list for more advice.
Therefore the not locking (setting strict locking = no in smb.conf) in some ways is not a big issue unless it affects data integrity.
I am thinking that users may need to transfer to unix machine via samba to a local raid stoage, then copy to the NFS share.

I will post on the samba technical list, thanks for your help

> Did you mean to reply to me off-list? If you always reply to list you'll get the most feedback, unless you want to take something offtopic or discuss individually (:

Replied on the Iphone - sorry should have been on the list, thanks for agreeing to bring this back to the list