Re: [SOLVED] need help with clamav

On Wed, 25 May 2011 22:11:52 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 05/25/2011 07:55 PM, Juan R. de Silva wrote: [snip]
>>
>> Thanks Camaleón, you were the only one to reply. And this puzzles me
>> BTW. I doubt people do not use clamav in Debian. Is there anything
>> wrong with my posting. I'm new to Debian community and willing to
>> learn. :-)
>>

> The main (only valid?) purpose of clamav is for mail server computers in
> Windows offices.
>
> So, if the computer is your stand-alone box which you read email from
> then clamav is *not* necessary.  Yes, Windows viruses will get onto your
> machine, but so what?  They don't do anything on Linux.

My computer is a stand-alone box, except my laptop that is running Linux
as well being a part of my little network. But I communicate with folks
using Windows. Unfortunately some of them are not computer literate to
such a point they even do not have an anti-virus installed. So, I have to
take some steps to protect them.