Anyone solved the b43legacy 1 Mb/s issue in Squeeze?

This is a long-standing issue with b43legacy wireless and transmission rates being slow, across various Linux distros and many years.  Since I upgraded to Squeeze I was hopeful the rate issue would be fixed but alas it is not.  I can run "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M" to get wicd and iwconfig to say it's 54 Mb/s but it's actually connected at 1 Mb/s in reality.  Any chance someone on this list has figured out a solution that my hours of Googling did not produce?  ndiswrapper didn't solve the problem based on other peoples' experiences, FWIW.

Thanks,
Mark