Automounting USB drives

I recently did a base install and then installed a handful of packages
to get myself X and Openbox running on my system using XFE for my file
manager.  I am running into an issue where when I plug my external
(NTFS) hard drive in to my machine, it is not automounting like it
would if I had XFCE installed first.  I added my user to the plugdev
group and I can manually mount it.  However, I would like to have it
automount again without having an entry in /etc/fstab.

Is there a volume manager I can install outside of the DE environment
to get this working again?  I have been searching for a couple of days
now but I have not found anything yet.

Thanks!
-Matt