Re: Avoid POP3

On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:53:40 +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:31:27AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> This is mostly a technical mailing list and the above definitions do
>> not have to entirely fit with the ones used to define a standard
>> protocol¹. Meaning, in plain English yes, "download" is a very generic
>> term covering many situations.
>>
>> But you seem to forgot the context here, that is POP3, and when it
>> comes to POP3 the "download" verb is closely linked to "fetch and
>> remove" which is the default operation any MUA does when you setup a
>> POP3 account.
>
> Well... I disagree.  When you download from a website, you don't expect
> the thing you are downloading to be removed from the web server.

Because http is not pop3. Different protocols, different behaviour and
not relevant for this case.

> Same for usenet messages.  I tend to take expectations from one context
> to another.

Bad approach, imo. Every context has its own rules and what works for one
does not have to necessarily work for the other.

> The verb I associate with the common activity of download-and-remove
> for POP is "fetch".

That's okay, but not for me (so I noted), at least not "technically
speaking" in this context where pop3, due to its own nature, inherits by
default a "download/fetch/get/retrieve and delete" action ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón