Re: Avoid POP3

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:31:27AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> This is mostly a technical mailing list and the above definitions do not
> have to entirely fit with the ones used to define a standard protocol¹.
> Meaning, in plain English yes, "download" is a very generic term covering
> many situations.
>
> But you seem to forgot the context here, that is POP3, and when it comes
> to POP3 the "download" verb is closely linked to "fetch and remove" which
> is the default operation any MUA does when you setup a POP3 account.

Well... I disagree.  When you download from a website, you don't expect the
thing you are downloading to be removed from the web server. Same for usenet
messages.  I tend to take expectations from one context to another. The verb I
associate with the common activity of download-and-remove for POP is "fetch".

--
Jon Dowland