Re: Booting a USB hard drive [SOLVED]

On Mon, 16 May 2011 13:27:02 -0700, Peter Bonucci wrote:

> On Friday, May 13, 2011 08:25:43 am Camaleón wrote: <snip>

(...)

>> Finally, if all of the above fails, well, consider using the "WD My
>> Passport Essential" USB disk as a paperweight... errr, I mean, as a
>> backup storage unit O:-)
>>
>> ¹http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#features
>>
>> P.S. It won't neither hurt that you look for any available firmware
>> upgrade for you USB device or even for the BIOS of your computer. Also,
>> contacting WD on this matter can make you lose a bit of time but it
>> can't make any bad :-)
>
> After all of the previous work, I decided that GRUB wasn't going to
> work.  I tried Plop and it didn't work either.

Wow... I would start thinking the USB disk has some kind of specific
problem to hold the bootstrap code :-/

> I decided to use a separate USB device for the /boot partition and
> reinstall Debian.  The "WD My Passport Essential" USB disk now holds a
> complete Debian installation and I can run it without problems.
>
> Camaleón, thank you for all of the help.

You're welcome, but it's a pity having to depend on another external
source to hold the bootloader just because manufacturers provide such
weird devices with undocumented "features" ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón