Re: unique identifiers for cdrom drives

On Sun, 15 May 2011 13:39:20 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> On 20110514_160848, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > I've googled and see reference to vol_id, but I don't have vol_id,
>> > and can't find it, or even a man page.
>>
>> There is a file located at "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules"
>> that can be manually edited to make static names for the optical
>> devices (or so it seems), maybe you can do something there.
>
> Thanks.
> I'm reading
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch01.en.html#_device_files
> and
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#about
>
> looking for how to write a rule that meets my needs. But I have a
> problem understanding. I don't see anything in udev rules that allows me
> to control the mount point of a device, i.e. what connects the symlink
> /dev/cdrom, with the mountpoint /media/cdromX ? Udev rules seem to be
> concerned only with what appears in /dev/ .
>
> What am I missing? Is there a fixed, invariant mapping that just always
> happens?

How does your "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules" look like?

I thought udev should manage this automatically without needing to make
static mount points in "/etc/fstab" in the same way it does when you
insert an USB flash drive and it gets mounted under "/media/MYUSB_TAG"
unless you tell otherwise :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón