Re: grub-probe: error: cannot stat `/dev/root'

On Sun, 08 May 2011 05:55:18 -0700, CACook wrote:

> On Saturday 7 May, 2011 07:04:16 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> As a current btrfs user, I don't recommend you run it on the Squeeze
>> kernel (2.6.32-5) because there are certain circumstances where it
>> doesn't gracefully handle out-of-space issues and that "df" reports for
>> it lie.  I recently filed a bug against the Debian kernel due to this;
>> two BUG() calls within a second leading to a broken btrfs module and
>> needing a reboot and some manual file system recovery.
>
> Wow, yeah.  For having been years in development

It's only two years (!). We can say it's just "a baby" compared to the
dinosaurs of ext2/3, reiserfs and xfs :-)

> and fully financially supported by Oracle,

Well, afterall is a GPL project.

> this filesystem is a trainwreck.

I'd say it's under development which means not suitable for production
systems.

> I'm ditching it.

Nowadays you can use it on a testing computer. Beyond that, you risk to
expose your data to almost any thing.

> But I did submit a bug by email on grub-pc.
>
> What a mess.  Scary.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón