Re: Customising Debian install

On 6 May 2011 06:08, Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 07:21:22PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 05 May 2011 18:12:47 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:

> > For certain things like removing OpenOffice and replacing it with
> > LibreOffice this approach works but is time consuming.  For other
> > packages it just results in disaster, for example  Ive tried removing
> > the empathy package and have inadvertently removed the entire OS.
>
> How is that? Empathy is just an IM client, it should be easily
> removable :-?

The problem here, I think, is that gnome-desktop-environment depends on
empathy. As with many of these "all encomapssing" meta packages you are
usually better off picking just the subset of packages that you actually
want.

This is what I normally do, then use fluxbox or openbox for a smaller installation.
Installing 'just what you want' drags in required dependencies but can lead, sometimes, to a little instability I have found. Installing one or two other related packages normally stabilises the situation though.
Regards,

Weaver.
by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.