CPU usage mysteriously spiking after kernel upgrade

After updating the kernel on my ThinkPad from linux-image-2.6.28-grml
to linux-image-2.6.31-grml I've noticed cpu usage periodically jumping
from 600MHz to 1500MHz several times a minute. This is with not much
going on but Vim, Mutt & ELinks running in a screen session in a
framebuffer console. Top shows nothing under the %CPU column...I don't
see anything pass much beyond 1%.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and/or suggested
techniques for determining the culprit would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

--
John Magolske