Re: Poll - What Smartphone do you use?

On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 08:35:39PM -0700, giovanni_re wrote:
> Isn't it great to get to know your Debian community members, & things
> about them, like what kind of stuff they use?  Maybe that would be good
> stuff for _you_ to get at some point.  :)
>

> =
> So, today's poll is:
>
> What Smartphone do you use?
>
> Please reply to this message with:
>
> Manufacturer name   Model name, OS name, Cell Carrier name, Country you
> live in.
>

> =
> For example, I'll start first:
> Samsung   Intercept, Android (Debian I Wish - DIW), Virgin Mobil
> (=Sprint), USA.
>

> =
> So, what Smartphone do _you_ use?

Treo, Palm, Verizon, US.

I still hate it after 4 years.

Kept it for the 2 year contract. Then started waiting for the right Android
so I could have Debian and because some of my favorite apps authors actually
anticipated the Palm-to-Android conversion and for helpers for it.

I started with Palm at the beginning and bought smart phones loaded with
Palm from the outset. Had a really good one from Verizon, so I upgraded to
the Treo when it died and began years of disappointment.

Now I want a simmed phone with no contract to boot at a  price that seems
reasonable for carrying a highly breakable electronic distraction in my
pocket.

Furthermore, legal issues are dawning. There is a case going into the Oregon
Supreme Court regarding search and seizure of cell phones by police.  Some
people point out that much of their most valuable communications records,
browsing records, travel records and more are on their pocket rather than in
their home.  Yet their smartphones are hard to impossible to secure while
being more subject to searches.

This issue will eventually reach the U.S. Supreme Court. However, by then,
the technological specifics of the issues may be obsolete and already
replaced by new ones.

I am thinking of moving to the simplest, cheapest thing that is dependable
and allows one to turn off tracking--dumping even texting!

I have no idea what that is.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody