Re: How to disable (or change) the logout sound in gnome/GDM?

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:
On 2011-03-28 09:58:57 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:
> The logout sound is a very ugly beep.  I can change the login sound in
> gdm.conf but can not find where the logout sound setting is.  I also put
> pcspkr module in the blacklist, no effect.

Various solutions (the first one works on some machines, but not
everywhere, and I don't know why):

1. "xset -b" in your .xsession or whatever is run (this will disable
  the beep also in other applications, which is fine, IMHO).

Hi Vincent,

xset -b  works.  Thanks.

2. With gdm, set SoundOnLogin=false in "/etc/gdm/gdm.conf".

I've already set this, this is no effect.  In fact, the beep only occurs when I shutdown the computer in gnome.  It doesn't beep when I login or logout.

3. With gdm3, the /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults config file can be
  changed to have:

  /desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds               false

I don't use gdm3.

Best regards,
Yuwen