Re: adzapper help needed

On 20110328_111305, Clive Standbridge wrote:
> > My recollection is that in addition to configuring adzapper,
> > one must also configure ones browser to use it.
>
> You don't configure your browser to use adzapper. adzapper is a filter
> for squid (or other proxy). You configure squid to use adzapper, and
> your browser to use the proxy.
>
> In squid.conf you need
> url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/adzapper.wrapper

Yes, I have done that, per instructions in both the old and new README

> See also /usr/share/doc/adzapper/README.Debian

I have already. It does not, any longer, give the information that
I need. I am hoping that the information is meerly moved to a
different place, and that someone will point me to where it is.

> I've used adzapper happily for several years and find it very
> convenient for several different machines and browsers. One very
> useful config line in adzapper.conf is
> ZAP_MODE="CLEAR"
> otherwise some pages get splattered with surprisingly large numbers of
> "ad zapped" strings.

I think that one must do something to redirect the browser unless one
configures the proxy to be a 'transparent' proxy, that is configue it
to listen on port 80. But ... the adzapper docs make no mention of how
to do this either. The docs did, in the past, give a default port
number and advice on how to set up transparency. Adzapper, as packaged
for Squeeze, does not make squid listen on port 80.