Re: Upgrade to Squeeze and KDE

On Sb, 19 mar 11, 18:35:10, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> After updating my hosts in my house to the new stable, Debian Squeeze,
> I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop to Squeeze.
>
> With my hosts with Lenny in general, except for some things, everything
> was working after upgrading to Squeeze, but I worry that something is
> broken in the upgrade from KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.4, as this PC is used to
> study and work and I wish the minimal downtime.

I upgraded one machine with KDE from lenny to squeeze and did not
experience any major issues. However, this was not a very customized
environment. Actually I'm trying to switch it over to LXDE as it is more
than enough for what it is currently used and would deal with the
complaints about KDE 4 being slower.

If you want to play it extra safe you can tell kaboom (the settings
migration wizard) to NOT migrate your settings and just start fresh. If
you are not familiar with KDE 4 be prepared for major changes in the way
things are done although I've read it is possible to bring it closer to
KDE 3.5

Regards,
Andrei